Monday, February 8, 2010

G'Day Mates!

I think by now you have all figured out that when I go to my local Total Wine, I often try their specials at the front of the store. And so far I have been pleasantly surprised. So, I continued that trend the last time we went. They had several varieties from Gumdale on display, all for $7. Gumdale is in Southeastern Australia and is named for the eucalyptus or gum trees that surround the winery. I decided to try a white and a red so I chose the Pinot Grigio and the Shiraz.

I tried the Shiraz. Shiraz is my second favorite red, behind Cabernet. I drank it alone and it was lovely. It was full-bodied with hint of berries and plums. It was spicy with a slightly sweet finish. Total Wine recommends trying it with barbecued pork so I may do that next time I get it.

The pinot grigio was just as good. I detected hints of pineapple and citrus. It was crisp with a clean finish. I hadn't had pinot grigio in ages so it was nice to find a new one that was good. I think this would be great with light grilled dishes in the summer like veggies or seafood.

That's all I have for now but I do have several more new wines I have picked up to try, including one local to the Orlando area. I'm working my way through them and will update soon. Happy drinking!

No comments: