Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Catching Up Part II

See, I told you I would be doing this more regularly. I do it for myself as much as anyone else so I can use it as a reference because God knows with Mommy brain, I can't remember anything.

My first wine today is another Chardonnay. Like I said, I am giving them another try after not really being much of a fan. This one is a 2008 By Star Tree. It's from the North Cape of South Africa and my trusty Total Wine had it for around $8. This particular Chardonnay is unwooded. It was a lovely cleat slightly deeper yellow. The aroma was that of tropical fruit and the taste was light and crisp with hints of pineapple and citrus. It had a long, smooth finish. I drank it alone but I think it would be perfect with chicken or shrimp.

My next wine is a Pinot Grigio which is another wine I kind of got away from for a bit. It wasn't because I didn't like it I just didn't think to buy it. This one was a 2009 by Kiwi Cuvee and came from Germany although it seems their different varieties come from different countries (although none from New Zealand despite the name). The color was a medium straw yellow and it had bright aromas of apple and pear. It was slightly sweet at first and them became slightly acidic which balanced out the fruit flavors. I drank it alone but I think it would go well with spicy or Asian food.

A few weeks later, we also tried Kiwi Cuvee's 2008 Pinot Noir which was from the Loire Valley of France. It was deep garnet in color with aromas of berries and a hint of cherry. It was well balanced with a hint of sweetness with light tannins in the finish. We drank it with flank steak and it was lovely pairing.

My last wine for today is also a red. It's a 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon by Brisandes which is located in the Colchaqua Valley in Chile. It cost just around $10. It was a deep burgundy with a lovely aroma of dark berries and currants. It was fruity and well balanced with flavors of cherry and a soft tannin finish. I drank it alone but pairing recommendations included barbecue and red meats.

OK, enough for today. My kids are making me buts and I think it's about time to pour a glass of wine!

No comments: