Wednesday, December 23, 2009

An Old Favorite

When hubby and I were at our favorite liquor store a couple weeks ago, I was browsing through the German wine section and a pretty bottle caught my eye. Yes, that is how I sometimes pick my wine. It had pretty pink flowers on it. It was Gewurztraminer called Petals and the vintage was 2008. I hadn't had Gewurztraminer in ages so I picked up a bottle since it was an economical $9. Unfortunately, that bottle lost a battle with a falling Christmas wreath and was smashed to pieces. So on our last trip, I picked up another bottle and this one did make it long enough to be enjoyed. The label claimed the wine would be a unique delight with aromas and flavors of pineapple, lychee and ripe pears which create a perfect balance of sweetness and acidity. I did find the latter part to be true. Some Gewurztraminers can be very sweet but this one had a nice balance. I did detect the aroma and flavor of pears and lychee but not really pineapple. Maybe I'll need to concentrate more next time. I drank it alone, well chilled and it was very good. I would definitely buy it again.

I also want to suggest a web site for those who like to journal their wines. I use www.logabottle.com and I think it's a great site. I do have a small journal I keep in my purse for when I try a new wine while I am out but I transfer everything to the site eventually. You can also search other people's logs and see how they rated a particular wine. It's very user friendly and I think it's a great tool. So, that;s my plug for the day.

I am off now to enter my first post on my new blog Confessions of a Recipe Junkie. If I don't get a chance to post before the end of the week...Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments: